Reporting to Manager, Accounting and Reporting this position is responsible for supervision of staff and associated functions in Accounts Payable and Payroll working with Client Health and Related Health Information System (CHRIS)/Health Partner Gateway (HPG)/Great Plains (GP)/Quadrant WorkForce (QWF) systems. Under the direction of the Manager, the Supervisor of Accounts Payable and Payroll will work closely with and perform backup duties to Accounts Payable Clerks, Billing Coordinators and Payroll Administrators in the processing of AP, Billing and Payroll payments.
The following outlines the primary duties and responsibilities for the Supervisor of Accounts Payable and Payroll:
Responsible for the accurate and timely processing of weekly AP and Billing functions. ($300M+ annually)
- Responsible for the supervision and performing backup duties of staff in Accounts Payable and CHRIS Billing.
- Responsible for supervising the work flow of the department.
- Review weekly AP processed invoices/ billing reversal/payment requests along with proper authorization and account codes.
- Ensures that all cheques are accounted for and proper signature authorization is obtained for release of payment, as per the organization’s policies.
- Verifies that the processing of payment and distribution of cheques complies with the payment terms and timelines established by the organization’s policies and procedures and with the contract for Services providers.
- Monitor weekly billing suspensions completion and compile cheque run to ensure the timely and accurate payment to all Service Providers/Private School/suppliers.
- Provides a 2nd point of contact with the Providers/Vendors/Private Schools/Hospitals and miscellaneous suppliers regarding any issues/problems with payments an any issues with CHRIS/HPG/GP systems.
- Implement and monitor processes in Accounts Payable and CHRIS billing suspension areas.
- Continues to participate in the ongoing development and quality improvement of the Accounts Payable/billing suspension processes.
- Review bank deposits and any other deposits as required.
- Responsible for the month end A/P closing process including Matman.
- Responsible for the Matman/ PO reconciliation process in collaboration with Procurement.
- Track accruals regarding outstanding invoices for month end and year-end.
- Prepare submission of HST rebates and property tax rebates.
- Maintain offsite storage records for Finance department and ensure files/invoices get sent offsite on time.
- Assists with training/orientation of new staff to the Accounting Payable and Billing suspension areas.
- Cross training and acts as back-up for other staff in Accounts Payable and billing suspension area on vacation/sick leave.
- Provide audit support documentation for internal, external and regulatory audit
- Participate in special projects/committees and analysis as assigned.
Responsible for the maintenance, preparation, distribution and reporting of all components of a $80M+ in-house payroll system for 800+ employees (85% union, 15% non-union) on a bi-weekly basis Payroll
- Ensures the timely and accurate delivery of payroll services
- Responsible for the maintenance and configuration of in- house payroll system
- Ensures compliance with legislation for the deduction, reconciliation and remittance of all statutory deductions and employee benefits to reduce organizational risk of non-compliance; Canada Revenue Agency (CRA),
- File Employer Health Tax (EHT), Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan, (HOOPP)and organization benefit carrier etc. within prescribed timelines
- Leads the preparation and filing of required reports to government agencies and other organizations to include annual reconciliations for ; Canada Revenue Agency T4/T4A year-end reporting (CRA), Employer Health Tax (EHT), Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- In conjunction with the Manager, Accounting and Reporting, Ensures compliance with the requirements of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC), Management Information Systems (MIS) by accurate quarterly reporting of financial and statistical data for compensation and benefits including worked hours, FTE, job category, head count and classification.
- Supports the Central LHIN Human Resources submission of the Public Sector Salary Disclosure (PSSD) document by providing T4 documentation and compensation analysis as required.
- Comply with corporate policy and procedures, legislation and collective agreements
- Develop implement and maintain internal controls to minimize the risk to the organization. Risks would include significant mis-statement and/or fraud for payroll and expense payments.
- In conjunction with the Director Finance develops new policies/procedures related to the department’s operations based on the organization’s policies
- Leads the preparation of the compensation and benefit audit support documentation as needed for internal, external and regulatory audits
- Participate in special projects/committees and analysis as assigned.
Canadian Payroll Association, CPM certification mandatory
Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Commerce or equivalent mandatory
Completion of the CPA-CGA, CPA-CMA, CPA-CA designation, or an MBA would be an asset
Knowledge & Experience:
- Five (5) years related work experience in the Health Services sector performing similar functions
- Knowledge of Client Information System (CHRIS) billings
- Knowledge of MIS/Great Plain /Integration Manager
- Knowledge of GAAP, Financial and Internal control policies and procedures
- Experience in A/P and Billing Accounting gained in similar position
- Advanced computer skills: Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Ability to keep to date with most recent changes CHRIS Client System/Great Plains
- Ability to assimilate MIS compliant information into General Ledger
- Attention to detail to ensure data is entered accurately and in a timely manner
- Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to organize/prioritize daily workload in the presence of frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and engage staff to continuously improve processes
- Minimum five (5) years supervisory experience in a unionized environment
- Knowledge of payroll legislation, including CRA, WSIB, EHT, and Employment Standards Act.
- Knowledge of collective agreement and union payroll benefits
- Knowledge of Management payroll benefits
- Comprehensive knowledge of year end reporting requirements for both fiscal and payroll year ends
- Knowledge of Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- Proficiency in office software applications including MS Office Suite and report writing software
- Knowledge of Management Information Systems (MIS) statistical reporting to support the compliance and submission of the quarterly Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) reports
- Knowledge of Payroll Accounting (journal entries, reconciliation and reporting)
- Ability to think analytically with attention to detail in the presence of frequent interruptions
- Excellent time-management, multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Ability to handle pressure in a fast paced, changing environment
- Ability to probe, analyze and problem solve
- Ability to recommend, develop and maintains policies and procedures etc.