We are currently recruiting a Mental Health & Addictions Nurse (MHAN) - RN
Competition #: FY1920-020
Date Posted: August 6, 2019
Date Closed: Until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Manager, Regional Programs – Mental Health & Addictions
Category: Permanent Full-time (1.0 FTE)
Primary assigned location: Mississauga Office, 2655 North Sheridan Way
Reporting to the Manager, Mental Health & Addictions, the Mental Health & Addiction Nurse is responsible for providing client-centered, recovery-focused nursing assessment, planning and intervention to identified students (along with their carers) within the Halton District School Board and Halton Catholic District School Board. This role is required to work along side School Board staff to ensure the best outcome for their students who present with complex needs .
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist school teams (administration, Social Workers, educators, etc) in recognizing and responding to students with complex mental health and addicitons issues including developing individual care plans
- Provide support and/or intervention in complex issues such as refusal to attend treatment, self-harm, suicide, or violent behaviour
- Support system navigation for students, parents, educators including developing collaborative relationships with childrens mental health agencies, psychiatry, acute care and primary care
- Provide medical consultation to educators regarding issues such as medication management/side effects for individual students, particularly those with complex medical conditions concurrent with mental illness or addictions
- Ensure positive public relations and effective coordination of services through ongoing partnerships and participation on internal and external committtees
- Support educators to meet the complex medical and mental health needs of students who require extra supports for health and/or safety concerns of self and/or others
- Provide essential health related advice and support to the Mental Health leaders in developing comprehensive board plans to address a collaborative response to the mental health needs of students
- Act as a spokesperson as required, and interpret the role of the Mississauga Halton LHIN to clients, health care professionals and to the public
- Participate in the orientation of new staff, educators and students within district school boards
- Assess for and promote a safe environment for clients, caregivers, family members, and staff
- Adhere to health and safety policies/ practices developed and implemented by the Mississauga Halton LHIN.
- Participates in establishing, maintaining, and monitoring standards for the Case Management, including committee work and active participation and contribution to quality initiatives.
- Registered Nurse (BScN or Masters)
- Certification in Psychiatric/Mental Health Mental Health Nursing (CNA) preferred
- Minimum of two (2) years of direct clinical experience relevant experience as a Registered Nurse working within a mental health and addictions setting.
- Knowledge of the mental health and addictions service system for children and youth
- Direct clinical experience in providing mental health and/or addictions services for children and youth utilizing evidence-based interventions i.e.:
- CBT skills
- DBT skills
- Group skills
- Solution-focused therapy
- Family therapies
- Solid knowledge of health care related legislation and practices
- Ability to manage mental health crisis
- Ability to work independently
- Computer literacy and keyboarding skills required
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable motor vehicle
- Insurance that includes driving for business purposes and minimum liability of $1,000,000.
- Ability to communicate in French or other languages an asset.
To apply for this vacancy please submit a resume with covering letter referencing FY1920-020 via the following link www.lhinjobs.ca or visit the Mississauga Halton LHIN Career Opportunity page at lhinjobs.ca Please note, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Mississauga Halton LHIN is a respectful, caring and inclusive workplace, committed to Employment Equity. We welcome diversity in the workplace, and encourage applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. We will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Applicants need to make their accommodation needs known when contacted.
To receive any Mississauga Halton LHIN document required by the Accessibility for Ontarians Disability Act (AODA) and its standards, or to receive any public document on our website in an alternate format, please contact our Communications Department at 905-855-9090 or 1-877-336-9090.