One (1) full-time Health Records Technician position is currently available in our Health Records Team of the Toronto Local Health Integration Network.
Position: Health Records Technician
Reporting to: Manager, Client Services
Department: Health Records
Division: Home and Community Care
Start Date: February 2019
Reporting to the Client Services Manager, this position provides primary diagnostic and surgical procedure coding of Toronto Central LHIN clients at admission as well as new or updated diagnoses or procedures coding at reassessment. Responds to requests for release of information from client records. Assists the Client Services Manager with developing health records management related policies and procedures, processes and standards; and with quality improvement audits related to client records.
- Codes all diagnoses and procedures for each referral of the Toronto Central LHIN using ICD-9 coding
- Codes any new or updated diagnoses or procedures at reassessment
- Utilizes resources to assist in selecting appropriate codes, and participates on a team to standardize diagnostic and procedure coding processes
- Responds to requests for release of client information received from clients, their authorized representatives, or other third parties; determines the validity of requests, ensures appropriate consent is obtained, ensures extraction and preparation of all relevant information for release
- Maintains destruction record schedule and follows protocol in determining record destruction
- Assists the Client Services Manager in the development and maintenance of policies and procedures related to the quality of client records in order to monitor compliance with legislative requirements and accreditation standards
- Handles first level correction/deletion of records in CHRIS to ensure that they are completed appropriately with due consideration of risk and privacy legislation
- Assists the Client Services Manager with the development and implementation of quality improvement audits related to client records
Health Records Technician $27.58 - $32.00 per hour (UNION, COPE Position)
- Completion of a university degree and/or college level Health Information Management Program
- Certificate of registration with the Canadian College of Health Information Management (CHIM) with active membership in CHIMA is required
- Knowledge of ICD-9 coding is required; and ICD-10 coding knowledge preferred
- Knowledge of CCP (Canadian Classification of Diagnostic, Therapeutic and Surgical Procedures) coding
- Strong understanding of professional standards with respect to privacy and confidentiality, security of client information, and client records management
- Ability to listen effectively and communicate both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise way to a diverse range of stakeholder groups
We offer competitive salary and employee benefits, including pension contributions with HOOPP.
Toronto Central LHIN is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process