The Mississauga Halton Local Health Integration Network (LHIN), is amid a momentous time for health care in Ontario as we move towards a better connected system that creates more seamless care for patients. The Mississauga Halton Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) is pivotal in this process. Entrusted through our provincial mandate to plan, fund, integrate and deliver health care across our region, we are finding better ways to provide services to the 1.2 million people in our communities through the stewardship of approximately $1.6 billion of public funds allocated to our health service providers and the delivery of high quality home and community care.
If you would like to make a fundamental difference, we invite you to bring your passion and knowledge to the Mississauga Halton LHIN. Join our dynamic team transforming the local health care system.
We are recruiting a Professional Practice Advisor - Palliative Care
Competition #: FY1718-242
Date Posted: May 17, 2019
Date Closed: Until Filled
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director, Palliative Care
Category: Permanent Full-time
Team: Palliative Team
Current primary assigned location: 2655 North Sheridan Way, Mississauga
Reporting to the Director, Palliative Care, the Palliative Professional Practice Advisor provides overall leadership and direction for palliative professional practice within the Mississauga Halton LHIN and acts as a resource for internal and partnering health professionals and organizations. The Palliative Professional Practice Advisor works collaboratively with the Mississauga Halton LHIN Palliative team, LHIN portfolios, Service Provider Organizations and other system partners (e.g. primary care) to ensure that best, leading and evidence-based practices are used within Mississauga Halton LHIN to provide high quality, safe care and /care co-ordination. The Palliative Professional Practice Advisor will work closely with the Mississauga Halton Palliative Care Network to support the identified initiatives and to provide education to the Mississauga Halton Palliative Care Network stakeholders.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides subject matter expertise for Professional Practice within Mississauga Halton LHIN specifically within the Palliative program.
- Leverages a strong working relationship, facilitates and/or collaborates with the MH LHIN Palliative team, Service Providers and the Mississauga Halton Palliative Care Network in the implementation of best, leading and evidence-based practices into daily patient/client care and care co-ordination processes and activities
- Collaborates with Home and Community Care Professional Practice Advisor(s) to actively and continually seek out best, leading and evidence-based practices in care co-ordination and in home care services for implementation within the LHIN and/or its partner organizations, with respect to Palliative care.
- Engages and works closely with the inter-professional palliative home care team to foster, facilitate, enhance, and support best, leading and evidence based practices and processes;
- Provides coaching and mentoring to LHIN staff to enable the evaluation and application of best available, evidence based information in the planning and delivery of palliative care
- Collaborates with Palliative team, the Mississauga Halton Palliative Care Network and Service Provider Organizations in the identification, discussion, change and evaluation of practice issues with respect to palliative care
- Works closely with the MH LHIN Palliative team and the Learning & Organizational Development team to ensure best, leading & evidence based practices are built into staff learning & development activities (e.g. orientation, on-going learning activities, new practices or program introduction) MH LHIN Palliative team and the Information Management & Technology department to ensure best, leading, evidence based practices are supported and enabled through organizational information systems and technology
- Collaborates with Home and Community care Professional Practice Advisor(s) to promote and model an environment that fosters continuous learning and professional practice for LHIN staff and Service Provider Organizations and other key stakeholders
- Monitors current legislation, professional standards and guidelines, or applicable directives from government funding and professional bodies for compliance and collaborates with appropriate individuals and departments to address shortfalls and/or anticipate implications with regards to palliative care
- Participates in performance reviews and appraisals of direct health care providers employed by the LHIN (e.g. Nurse Practitioners and Care coordinators)
- Participates in monthly Pan LHIN Professional Practice Advisory Council
- Coordinates and enables LHIN and Mississauga Halton Palliative Care Network participation in externally driven research initiatives
- Ensures LHIN research policy and procedures are up-to-date, adhere to current standards for ethical and rigorous research practices, and are consistently applied within the organization
- Exemplifies behaviours, actions and attitudes that are consistent with Mississauga Halton LHIN’s vision, mission and values as aligned with our Values in Action statements
- Participates in the development and successful implementation of the department’s annual priorities in alignment with the organizational priorities
- Implements and monitors tools and processes that enable the delivery of high quality and safe services
- Reviews, assesses and/or recommends policy and programs that best meet the needs of the department
- Provides advice on departmental issues and challenges to both senior management and/or Mississauga Halton LHIN employee
- Provides leadership to designated work groups, programs and/or committees
- Acts as coach and mentor with respect to professional practice within and outside of Mississauga Halton LHIN
- Provides on-the-job advice/guidance, direction and feedback with respect to professional practice
- Organizes, coordinates and reviews the work of others within the team
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal and external partners including numerous community and professional agencies and institutions and other LHINs to enable the development of a sustainable health system in Mississauga Halton
- Represents the Mississauga Halton LHIN and the Mississauga Halton Palliative Care Network in conferences and meetings
- Collaborates with stakeholders in the implementation of department plans and programs
- Employs consensus building skills to ensure the most beneficial outcomes to the department
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships at all levels of the organization to ensure the most effective services are provided
- Demonstrates sensitivity and political acuity in all interactions
- Ensures ethnic, spiritual, linguistic, familial and cultural differences are respected
Other Related Activities
- Leads self, engages others, achieves results, continuous quality improvement and excellence in all activities and outcomes
- Identifies budget requirements and manages budget in accordance with identified learning needs, departmental priorities and strategic directions and priorities of the organization
- Works in and ensures that staff work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario and the regulations and adheres to health and safety policies/ practices developed and implemented by the Mississauga Halton LHIN and takes reasonable precautions
- Strives to meet or exceed all accountabilities in the Operational Leadership Role Map®
- Implements new procedures and controls deemed necessary by management
- Participates on internal and/or external committees as required
- Participates in mandatory learning/education to maintain and update skills and knowledge whenever deemed necessary
- Works respectfully, positively and collaboratively within a team environment sharing experiences and lessons learned
- Leads, facilitates and/or participates on special projects and undertakes other duties as assigned
Education, Training & Experience
- University degree in a health discipline, Health Sciences or related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Master’s degree in a health discipline and/or education preferred
- Five (5) to seven (7) years related palliative experience with a minimum of three (3) years in a leadership role
- Licensed/registered member of a health profession in good standing with the regulatory and/or professional body (Registered Nurse preferred)
- LEAP preferred
- CAPCE/CNA Certification in HPC preferred
- At least five (5) years demonstrated experience in professional practice development and/or the application and evaluation of best, leading, evidence based practices within an organization
- Demonstrated understanding and application of research design, development, implementation, application, evaluation and knowledge translation
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to foster a supportive work environment and work within inter-professional teams
- Able to effectively foster inter-professional care and collaboration among a diverse patient care team
- Demonstrated facilitation, mentoring, change management and leadership abilities
- Self-directed and highly motivated
- ability to communicate in French is an asset
To apply for this vacancy please submit a resume with covering letter referencing FY1718-242 via the following link www.lhinjobs.ca or visit the Mississauga Halton LHIN Career Opportunity page at lhinjobs.ca.
Please note, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Mississauga Halton LHIN is a respectful, caring and inclusive workplace, committed to Employment Equity. We welcome diversity in the workplace, and encourage applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. We will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Applicants need to make their accommodation needs known when contacted.
To receive any Mississauga Halton LHIN document required by the Accessibility for Ontarians Disability Act (AODA) and its standards, or to receive any public document on our website in an alternate format, please contact our Communications Department at 905-855-9090 or 1-877-336-9090.