ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK
JOB PURPOSE & GENERAL ACCOUNTABILITY:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Accounting and Reporting, this position performs clerical duties in validating invoices and processing account payables through an in-house computer system, CHRIS/HPG and Great Plains. Maintains good internal control within established policies and procedures to ensure accurate and timely payment of invoices. Provides a first point of contact with the Providers/Vendors/Private Schools/Hospitals and miscellaneous suppliers regarding any issues/problems with payments.
The following outlines the primary duties and responsibilities for the Accounts Payable Clerk:
- Validates and processes manual and computerized invoices for Service Providers/Suppliers/Hospitals and Private Schools along with VISA statements and miscellaneous invoices by matching with authorized requisitions and data entering in the appropriate computer module, ensuring accuracy and compliance with contract terms and conditions; analyses source documents and liaises with Suppliers and Client Services Teams to trace and correct any discrepancies.
- Processes cheques and EFTs, through Great Plains, to Providers/Vendors/Private Schools and internal staff on a weekly basis. Verifies and balances accounts payable reports; codes and enters data on the finance system, reviews error reports, and makes corrections as required; initiates payments and prepares cheques
- Verifies that the processing of payment and distribution of cheques complies with the payment terms and timelines established by the organization’s policies and procedures and with the contract for Services providers;
- Ensures that all cheques are accounted for and proper signature authorization is obtained for release of payment, as per the organization’s policies.
- Responsible for bank deposits; records and reconciles disbursements Assigns vendor code(s) to the appropriate accounts
- Data enters the general ledger code(s) to the appropriate computer module (in-house system) when required
- Contacts/responds to the provider agencies or suppliers’ inquiries and/or requests regarding invoices/billing problems/outstanding invoices/payments
- Proposes/recommends the policies/procedures for the accounts payable department
- Calculate and prepare the quarterly GST return
- Maintain and reconcile a Purchase Order listing for the corporation
- Ordering of office supplies for the department
- Receive and distribute incoming mail to the department
- Prepare ad hoc client costing report for the MOH
- Distribute and reconcile transportation chits, tokens and petty cash.
- Coordinates with Admin. Coordinator/Client Services Staff for authorized services/equipment/supplies
- Coordinates the resolution of system’s problems with appropriate personnel
- Provides accruals regarding outstanding invoices/Provider billing Vendor invoices for month end and year-end
- Cross training and Acts as back-up for other staff in Accounts Payable on vacation/sick leave
- Performs related clerical duties including filing paid invoices, back up invoices, setting up files and preparing boxes for offsite.
- Prepares documents, files all documents in storage boxes, maintains a log of files and arranges for pick-up and shipment to offsite storage
- Participates in selected projects, committees, meetings and task forces as required
- Schedules Provider/Vendor invoices for processing and prints related reports from the in-house computer system
- Inputs and processes reverse billings from Providers/Vendors
- Protects confidentiality of accounting records
- Assists with training/orientation of new staff to the Accounting team
- Other tasks/duties as assigned/required by Management
- Grade 12 or equivalent education
- Successful completion of a Community College Business/Bookkeeping/Accounting program preferred
B) KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Accurate data entry with appropriate keyboarding at 50 words per minute required
- Working knowledge of Great Plains is a definite asset
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Ability to assimilate MIS compliant information into General Ledger
- Previous accounting and/or accounts payable experience in the healthcare industry preferred
- Attention to detail to ensure data is entered accurately and in a timely manner
- Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to organize/prioritize daily workload in the presence of frequent interruptions
- Superior customer service skills
- Effective interpersonal skills in dealing with Service Provider Agencies, Suppliers, Hospitals and staff at all levels including Management
- Demonstrated communication skills required to work in a team environment and with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise sound judgement, discretion and accountability in all aspects of the role
- Ability to work independently without close supervision
- Ability to problem-solve and negotiate within area of responsibility
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with frequent changes and interruptions
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis
This position is located at the Central LHIN headquarters in Markham, Ontario. There may be requirement for occasional travel to other sites across the Central LHIN.
For more information on the Central LHIN, visit centrallhin.on.ca. Please apply online.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise the recruitment contact so arrangements can be made.