JOB TITLE: Privacy Officer
START DATE: October 2018
STATUS: Full Time, Permanent
REPORTS TO: Director, Quality, Safety and Risk
DEPARTMENT: Quality, Safety and Risk
LOCATION: Toronto Central LHIN
As a key member of the privacy team the Privacy Officer supports the Chief Privacy Officer in ensuring organizational compliance with relevant privacy and information access legislation including the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA). This role serves as subject matter expert privacy and access for the organization. Responding to requests for information under PHIPA and FIPPA, conducting privacy audits and providing guidance and training will be a significant part of the work required.
- Support the Chief Privacy Officer in implementing, sustaining, monitoring and improving a comprehensive privacy program in a complex healthcare environment
- Support the Chief Privacy Officer in ensuring that Toronto Central LHIN is compliant with the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), and Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC) best practices and orders. This will be done through education, procedure development and review, privacy auditing, risk assessments and breach investigation
- Serve as a privacy resource for all st Respond to inquiries on best practices with respect to the collection, use, disclosure, retention and disposal of personal information and personal health information in order to support organizational compliance with FIPPA and PHIPA obligations.
- With the Chief Privacy Officer ensures privacy impact assessments are conducted (external organization), identify privacy risks and provide consultative services to key stakeholders on the avoidance and/or mitigation of privacy risk This includes reviewing data sharing agreements/business agreements to ensure that all privacy concerns, requirements and responsibilities are addressed.
- Plays an advisory role in safeguarding personal health information and personal information in the implementation of digital health/IT initiative for health system improvement.
- Serve as the lead educator, including content development, of privacy education to all staff.
- Proactively monitor the legislative, regulatory and best practice developments and trends which may impact the organization; informing leadership of pertinent operational requirements, legislative and regulatory matters.
- Other duties specific to privacy include:
- Preparing the statistical annual report as well as any privacy incident reports to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of O
- Preparing the Annual Privacy and Security Operational Self-Attestations to Health Information Network Providers hosting systems including the Integrated Assessment Record and Connecting Ontario as well as the LHIN’s contracted out service provider organization
- Other duties as assigned including participating in sectoral privacy initiatives and pan-LHIN privacy meetings and committees, providing, providing cross coverage for Quality, Safety and Risk team where necessary.
- University degree.
- Professional certification in Privacy preferred.
- Ability to perform effectively both independently and in collaborative teams.
- Knowledge of relevant information health and public sector privacy laws and best practices, including a thorough knowledge of, and demonstrated ability to interpret, PHIPA and FIPPA.
- Knowledge of the Ontario health sector - roles, responsibilities and accountabilities
- Knowledge of information and data flows throughout the organization (collected, used, disclosed, retained and protected).
- Information Security training or experience is an as
- Excellent presentation and training skills. Excellent interpersonal, communications and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skill
- Knowledge and skills in using Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat and other office softw
- Ability to work independently, with little day-to-day supervisi
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to respond to a multiplicity of demands and prioritize work activitie
Interested applicants are encourage to apply online at www.lhinjobs.ca
We offer competitive salary and employee benefits, including pension contributions with HOOPP.
Toronto Central LHIN is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process