Senior Financial Analyst
Job # 2018-1724
The Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN), a Crown Agency of the Province of Ontario, is responsible for planning, funding, integrating health services and delivering home and community care services for over 1.8 million people living in northern Toronto, parts of Etobicoke, York Region and South Simcoe County. The LHIN provides over $2 billion in funding to more than 90 health service providers including hospitals, long-term care homes, community health centres, mental health and addiction service providers and community support services.
The position is a Financial and Business Advisor to the Divisions of the organization and is responsible for reviewing and analyzing monthly financial reports, consulting with Budget Managers and assisting Budget Managers with interpreting their financial results and developing regular forecasts and annual budgets. The position is also responsible for assisting with the coordination of quarterly forecasting and annual budgeting within the Organization. The incumbent should improve processes to ensure high client service and integrity of reporting, forecasting and budgeting.
Financial and Business Advisory
- Review, analyze and interpret monthly financial reports for Budget Managers in assigned Division(s).
- Monitor key financial indicators and perform analysis on variances; identify areas of concern and suggest corrective action needed to ensure that Divisions meets their obligations.
- Establishes effective relationships with Budget Managers to allow discussion of financial reports and resolution of issues.
- Assist Budget Managers to develop meaningful forecasts including financial targets, on a regular basis, but at minimum quarterly.
- Assist Budget Managers to develop annual budget, both dollars and FTEs, including financial targets.
- Consult with Budget Managers to identify business factors impacting their budgets, quantify factors and predict impact for the year.
- Prepares monthly financial reporting package for review by Director, Finance and VP, Performance, Corporate Services and CFO and for submission to Board or Senior Leadership Team.
- Prepares analysis and reporting of financial and statistical results against financial plan on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis to Board and Senior Management.
- Provides support in preparing data for Board meetings, collaborates on development and presentation of material.
Budgets and Forecasts
Assist the Senior Manager, Budgeting and Forecasting and Director, Finance in preparation, planning and monitoring and analysis of annual operating budget.
Assist in coordination of overall budget process including timelines and utilization of Financial Reporting Tool. Liaise with Budget Managers and prepare consolidated budget for review by Director, Finance and VP, Performance, Corporate Services and CFO and for submission to Board and Senior Leadership Team.
Coordinate monthly/quarterly forecasting process for whole Organization, including liaising with Budget Managers and utilizing Financial Reporting Tool.
Other Related Activities
- Prepare ad hoc reports, including analysis and projections, as required.
- Participates in regular reviews of services provided to Budget Managers and makes recommendations to improve services, ensure adequate internal controls are in place and increase efficiency.
- Participate in preparation of year-end audit binder and compile working papers/supporting schedules for annual financial audit statements, as required.
- Document working processes and make recommendations for improvement to senior Finance management; participate in special or ad hoc tasks and projects assigned by senior Finance management.
- Performs any other duties, as required.
- Inaccurate statistical and financial reports impact negatively on management decision-making thus leading to inefficient and ineffective allocation of resources.
- Establish contingency plan to deal with possible data corruption in shared client information system that will paralyze routine job performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or other related discipline is required
- Designation as a Chartered Professional Accountant is required
- In-depth knowledge of financial/accounting processes with particular reference to GAAP and best practices in budgeting, financial planning, forecasting and reporting.
- Excellent computer skills especially in Microsoft Excel and Word, with good knowledge of tools, systems and databases
- Exceptionally strong analytical skills
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing, in interaction with individuals of different levels of education and social background
- Ability to work smoothly with colleagues in the team and other staff in the organization
Problem Solving/ Complexity
- Strong capability in critically thinking and analyzing financial reports and associated supporting documentation
- Highly motivated to solve problems proactively and willing to contribute solutions for discussion with senior Finance Management
- Ability to gather related data at different levels of complexity and conduct a high-quality analysis for tackling contingent issues
- Understand the importance of applying the concept of cost versus benefit
Accountability & Decision-Making
- Responsible for verifying the correctness and reasonableness of statistical and financial data to produce useful reports for management
- Maintain strict confidentiality and exercise sharp judgment in handling confidential information and responding to inquires
- Alert the Manager for any discrepancy or inconsistency identified in statistical and financial database and reports
- Able to coach and work with new staff.
Please forward your resume and cover letter via email by Friday, June 15, 2018, to email@example.com, quoting Job # 2018-1724 in the subject line.
More information on the Central LHIN may be found at www.centrallhin.on.ca.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise the recruitment contact so arrangements can be made.