JOB TITLE: Payroll and Benefits Specialist
START DATE: April 2018
DURATION: Full Time, Permanent
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Payroll and Benefits Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
LOCATION: Toronto Central LHIN
Reporting to the Payroll Supervisor, this position is responsible for ensuring a secure and fiscally accurate comprehensive pay and benefits service for the Toronto Central LHIN including the maintenance of the payroll, human resources and scheduling system, the administration and processing of benefits, and the maintenance of related regulatory reporting and other functions.
- Implements and manages the computerized payroll, human resources and scheduling system; establishes and ensures the maintenance of internal financial controls; ensures the integrity and security of the data; works to improve data input, reporting and reconciliation processes
- Processes bi-weekly union and non-union payroll and other full cycle payroll activities and benefits administration (such as calculations for premiums and overtime; calculates, codes and processes information on hires, transfers, leaves, terminations, and wage adjustments; verifies the accuracy of statutory and benefits-related deductions.
- Administers benefits programs including: major medical and dental plans, life insurance, AD&D, STD, LTD, HOOPP; reviews existing coverage to identify gaps and opportunities for partnerships with other LHINs; provides necessary reports and analysis of current plans as required.
- Prepares monthly billings for all plans: remits and reconciles monthly statements for Canada Revenue Agency, Employer Health Tax, union dues, WSIB and benefits; liaises with external agencies as required to trace and resolve discrepancies; is the initial point of contact for these agencies.
- Produces weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports and monthly metrics as required; provides research and financial analysis
- Reconciles payroll-related accounts to the General Ledger; liaises as required to investigate and resolve discrepancies; prepares reports for each cost centre.
- Responds to staff and management inquiries regarding pay and benefit issues,
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- University degree or College Diploma (or equivalent) in payroll, benefits administration, human resources or other related fields.
- PCP (Payroll Compliance Practitioner) designation an asset
- At least three years’ experience in payroll and benefits administration, preferably in a unionized environment
- Knowledge of payroll requirements, including CRA payroll rules, year-end reporting, EHT, WSIB etc.
- Knowledge of Toronto Central LHIN collective agreement entitlements, as well as related legislation such as Employment Standards Act and Canada Labour Code
- Good understanding of general accounting practices regarding journal entries, reconciliation and reporting
- Knowledge of and proven ability to use spreadsheets to analyze and track pay, benefits and related HR information
- Advanced computer skills and the ability to use a variety of software programs (including MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and databases (payroll, human resources and scheduling).
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision, with proven skills in organization and time management.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact and sound professional judgment when responding to matters concerning highly sensitive and confidential personal information
- Strong oral and written communication skills
We offer competitive salary and employee benefits, including pension contributions with HOOPP.
If you are seeking a chance to truly make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own, please apply online at www.lhinjobs.ca.
Toronto Central LHIN is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process