Central Local Health Integration Network (CLHIN)
Are you an experienced accountant with a commitment to continuous learning? Can you hit the ground running in providing financial accounting and reporting expertise? If so, this high-impact role is for you. Formerly known as Central Community Care Access Centre (CCAC), the Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) is a proud recipient of a Gold Quality Healthcare Workplace Award for 2015, and one of the GTA’s Top Employers for 2017.
Reporting to the Senior Manager – Accounting and Reporting, and demonstrating your critical thinking and superb analytical skills and knowledge of applicable systems and standards, you will perform a wide variety of financial accounting and reporting duties, as required by the Senior Manager and the Finance Director. Among your priorities as Senior Accountant will be assisting with the LHIN Annual Business Planning Submission, the Quarterly MIS and Self Reporting Initiative Submission, and the Annual Reconciliation Report and Report Entity Submission to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC).
Location: This position will be based out of our office in Markham, ON.
As a Senior Accountant, you can expect to:
- Assist the Senior Manager – Accounting and Reporting with coaching and developing the Financial Analysts in the Department
- Use your in-depth knowledge of Management Information System (MIS) Standards to ensure financial and statistical transactions are properly recorded and classified
- Use your in-depth knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Standards to ensure all financial transactions are properly recognized and recorded in order to produce accurate, timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts according to accounting standards
- Investigate the causes of any variances and create adjusting journal entries to provide accurate information
- Audit and reconcile sub-ledgers to general ledgers by noting significant discrepancies, investigating significant variances and initiating reconciling entries
- Ensure the year-end external audit process is successful (e.g. no auditor adjustments), including timely, accurate preparation of audit working papers, and assisting auditors in gathering and interpreting information when required
- Develop information models permitting access to customized information through the use of web portals, drill-down functionality, report delivery and ad-hoc reporting
- Recommend new and different approaches to address service needs
- Integrate evidence-based best practices into service delivery
- Act as a recognized expert for financial accounting needs, including revenue and expense recognition, balance sheet accounts, and treasury management
- Research best practices for ideal solutions that have worked in other organizations and apply them to CLHIN, where appropriate, and/or use existing solutions in innovative ways to solve identified problems, while seeing the long-term consequences of potential solutions
- Develop an environment that nurtures creative thinking, questioning and experimentation, encouraging others to challenge conventional approaches, as well as supporting experimentation and innovation
- Model the need to be an ongoing learner, by staying on the "cutting edge" of advances in the financial accounting and reporting field, seeking opportunities to work with internal and external experts, and seeking or creating challenging assignments to enhance your own or others' learning
- Equitably identify cross-training and on-the-job learning opportunities for Financial Analysts to ensure critical positions have back-ups.Your professional strengths for the role of Senior Accountant will include:
- A university degree in Commerce or Finance
- A professional accounting designation such as CPA (CA, CGA or CMA)
- In-depth knowledge of financial and accounting processes, with particular reference to GAAP and best practices in financial accounting and reporting.
- Excellent computer skills, especially in Microsoft Excel and Word, with good knowledge of tools, systems and databases
- Exceptionally strong analytical skills
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the health care sector
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS)
- In-depth knowledge of the OHRS framework, and hands-on experience in MIS submission, Self Reporting Initiative (SRI) reporting, Annual Reconciliation Report (ARR) and Report Entity (RE) submission
- Proficiency with PC-based hardware and software (Microsoft Suite)
- Knowledge of Great Plains
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) to effectively communicate with all staff at all levels and with the Ministry
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize multiple, often-conflicting demands.
Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) get people the care they need in their homes and communities across the province. Caring for more than 637,000 people annually, LHINs work with families to help determine the right care and health supports to keep people at home for as long as possible. Learn more about our Care Coordinator, Nursing and other opportunities at www.lhinjobs.ca.If you are seeking a chance to truly make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own, please visit our website at www.lhinjobs.ca.
Central LHIN is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have any special requirements during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.
If you are seeking a chance to truly make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own, please visit our website at www.lhinjobs.ca.