One (1) full-time temporary, up to one year contract Mental Health and Addictions Nurse position is currently available in the School Mental Health and Addictions Team at the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network.
As an integral part of this interdisciplinary team, the Mental Health and Addictions Nurse will bring mental health and addictions expertise to provide essential health related advice and support to educators within the district school boards. The nurses will assist school boards in recognizing and responding to student mental health and addiction issues and work with the boards to develop strategies to address student mental health and addictions needs. The MHA nurse will play a key role in providing the support in helping students and/or parents access services such as family health care, community mental health and/or addictions agencies.
- Advise educators on potential side-effects of different classes of medications
- Provide medical consultation to educators regarding issues ie. medication management for students, particularly those with complex medical conditions concurrent with mental illness or addictions
- Liaise with children’s mental health agencies and primary care practitioners as required
- Provide support and/or intervention in complex issues such as refusal to attend treatment, self-harm, suicide, or violent behaviour
- Support educators to meet the complex medical and mental health needs of students who require extra supports for health and/or safety concerns of self and/or others
Care Coordinator $ 68, 404.18- $7,876.21 per annum
- Registered Nurse in good standing with the CNO; Case Management Certificate is an asset
- A minimum of two (2) years relevant clinical experience in providing mental health and/or addictions services for children and youth
- Knowledge of the mental health and addictions service system for children and youth
- Experience working in schools is an asset
- Solid knowledge of health care related legislation and practices
- Advanced assessment and diagnostic reasoning skills
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, decision-making skills, and high flexibility is required
- Ability to work independently, interdependently and co-operatively in a busy multi-disciplinary situation
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Effective communication and listening skills
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated care coordination, assessment, and interviewing skills
- Good understanding of the roles of other health care professionals affiliated with the Toronto Central LHIN Knowledge of funding agencies available to support Toronto Central LHIN clients
- A car and valid driver's licence is required. The successful candidate would have to provide proof that s/he has a valid driver's licence upon being hired
- Demonstrated computer literacy in a Windows environment is required
- Knowledge of and experience working with culturally diverse groups
- Ability to speak an additional language is an asset
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP).
Most LHIN's of Ontario are governed by the requirements of the French Language Services Act. We provide services in French and encourage applications from French-speaking candidates.
Toronto Central LHIN is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process.